Recent grants from the Global Food Crisis Fund (GFCF) and the Emergency Disaster Fund (EDF), two funds of the Church of the Brethren General Board, total $84,000 given to target hunger and disaster relief.
- $30,000 from the GFCF has been given to the Christian Commission for Development in Honduras, to work with eight villages to develop food security, commercialization, and an alternative financial system for the area’s poor.
- $15,000 from the GFCF has gone to Church World Service (CWS) following serious food shortages in Zimbabwe.
- $10,000 from the EDF covers outstanding expenses for the Brethren Disaster Ministries’ Hurricane Katrina Project Rebuilding Site 1 in Lucedale, Miss., which is now closed. Previous allocations to this project since 2006 have totaled $105,000.
- $8,000 from the EDF is given to CWS for escalating humanitarian crisis in Myanmar (Burma).
- $7,000 from the EDF is going to the Comision de Trabajo Ecumenico Dominicano following Tropical Storm Noel, which caused extensive flooding in the DR.
- $5,000 from the EDF responds to an Action by Churches Together appeal following an earthquake in Peru.
- $4,000 from the EDF supports work by CWS in Somalia with some 400,000 displaced people.
- $3,000 from the EDF is given to CWS after flooding in Nicaragua.
- $2,000 from the EDF goes to a CWS appeal for flooding in the Pacific Northwest.