The Church of the Brethren Family Life Ministry is providing resources and ideas for congregations to observe Child Abuse Prevention Month during April. Find more information at www.brethren.org/childprotection/month.html.
The ministry also is sharing several ways congregations can observe Child Abuse Prevention Month:
- Highlight the conditions of childhood during each worship service in April. Lift up parents, caregivers, and children in your prayers.
- Provide classes to strengthen parenting skills.
- Organize a “Parents’ Night Out” event. Plan an evening of supervised fun for children at your church. Parents and other caregivers can drop the kids off and enjoy some time to eat out, run errands, or even grab some much-needed rest.
- Host an informational program about child abuse prevention. Contact your community children and family services agency for possible programs and presenters.
- Consider a mentoring program that would pair “seasoned” parents or grandparents with young families who might benefit from the support and wisdom of those with more experience.
-- Kim Ebersole, who works in Congregational Life Ministries, provided this report for Newsline.
Source: 3/11/2014 Newsline