The National Youth Conference (NYC) Office awarded about 100 intercultural scholarships last week to youth and advisors from around the denomination. NYC has offered scholarships for many years to congregations that have a membership that is majority intercultural.
Scholarships were awarded to youth and advisors from 12 churches in 5 districts:
- Atlantic Northeast District--Harrisburg (Pa.) First Church of the Brethren
- Atlantic Southeast District--Castañer (P.R.) Iglesia de los Hermanos, Miami (Fla.) First Church of the Brethren, and Eglise des Frere, a Haitian Brethren congregation in Miami
- Illinois and Wisconsin District--Naperville (Ill.) Church of the Brethren and Rockford (Ill.) Community Church of the Brethren
- Pacific Southwest District--Glendale (Calif.) Church of the Brethren, Empire Church of the Brethren in Modesto, Calif., Iglesia de Cristo Sion in Pomona, Calif., and Principe de Paz in Santa Ana, Calif.
- Virlina District--the Renacer congregations in Roanoke and in Floyd County, Va.
National Youth Conference is the largest gathering of Church of the Brethren youth and takes place every four years. NYC 2014 will be held at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colo., from July 19-24. All youth who have completed ninth grade through one year post high school at the time of NYC are eligible and encouraged to attend. For more information visit www.brethren.org/NYC.
-- Tim Heishman is one of the coordinators of the 2014 National Youth Conference, and a Brethren Volunteer Service worker.
Source: 2/8/2014 Newsline