Director Niké St. Clair will lead the singers through a collection of sacred choral compositions and arrangements by Shawn Kirchner, the church’s instrumental music coordinator and the Swan Family Composer in Residence for the Los Angeles Master Chorale.
“Morning Has Broken,” “O What a Beautiful City,” three Shaker songs, and many other church favorites are to be performed, including the centerpiece of the concert, “Heavenly Home: Three American Songs” (including “Unclouded Day,” “Angel Band,” and “Hallelujah”). The program also includes other spirituals and sacred songs for the church year. Along with director St. Clair, soloists include Heidi Brightbill, Ryan Harrison, and Deb Waas. Instrumentalists Karen Cahill and Audrey Lamprey will accompany on flute and horn, respectively.
Twelve days after a Send-Off Concert in their home sanctuary on June 9, the group of 56 choir members and companions will fly to Pennsylvania to begin the tour.
Five performances will be given in nine days:
- on the morning of June 23 the choir sings for worship at Central Baptist Church, Wayne, Pa.
- at 7 p.m. on June 23, the choir gives a concert at Lancaster (Pa.) Church of the Brethren
- at 7:30 p.m. June 25 the choir gives a concert at Elizabethtown (Pa.) Church of the Brethren
- at 7:30 p.m. June 27 the choir gives a concert at Bridgewater (Va.) Church of the Brethren
- at 7:30 p.m. July 29 the choir sings during opening worship for the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference in Charlotte, N.C., followed by a concert at 9 p.m.
Source: 5/30/2013 Newsline