- The Saturday evening worship service of the 2010 Annual Conference was the first worship of an annual meeting of the Brethren to be broadcast worldwide. Brethren videographer David Sollenberger and his team provided live video feeds and Bethany Seminary staff member Enten Eller conducted the webcast. Based on the story of the Transfiguration found in Matthew 17:1-9, Annual Conference moderator Shawn Flory Replogle preached on the moments "When Heaven and Earth Touch." With moderator-elect Robert Earl Alley as worship leader, the assembled called to mind biblical and Brethren luminaries as all prayed with the ancient mystic Teresa of Avila to become the mind, the eyes, the ears, and the heart of Christ. Each day’s worship throughout the rest of the Conference also was webcast, along with some other events. The Sunday morning service was estimated to have reached some 1,000 people via the Internet. View recordings of the Conference webcasts at www.bethanyseminary.edu/webcasts/AC2010.
- Conference statistics for 2010 included a total registration number of 3,381 including 793 delegates; 200 pints of blood collected, which exactly met the goal of the Blood Drive; $5,700.50 raised by the quilt auction of the Association for the Arts in the Church of the Brethren (AACB), which will go for hunger relief; and total offerings of $58,333.72.
- Four new churches were welcomed by the 2010 Conference. Iglesia de los Hermanos Christo Nuestro Paz, in Yahuecas, PR, was welcomed as a congregation. Common Spirit Fellowship in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul) area of Minnesota; Cornerstone Church of the Brethren in Preble County, Ohio; and Way of Hope Ministry in Western Pennsylvania District were welcomed as new fellowships.
- Winners of this year’s Brethren Benefit Trust 5K Fitness Challenge are: Nathan Hosler, first male runner with a time of 18:13; Christy Crouse, first female runner (25:44); Don Shankster, first male walker (31:23); and Bev Anspaugh, first female walker (34:45).
- The 100 Year Celebration of Boones Chapel (Snow Creek) Church of the Brethren will be held Sunday, July 18, beginning at 10 a.m. with worship. Virlina District executive David Shumate will be the speaker, with former pastors and spouses sharing during worship and special music by Circle Creek Revival. A covered dish fellowship meal will be served.
- Boones Mill (Va.) Church of the Brethren celebrates its 85th anniversary on Sunday, July 18, with a 10 a.m. concert by contemporary gospel singing group Rise and Shine! followed by worship at 11 a.m. with William Abshire, professor of Philosophy and Religion at Bridgewater (Va.) College.
Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Brethren bits: Webcasts, Conference statistics, 5K winners, anniversaries, and more.
at 11:36 AM