- A retreat for Church of the Brethren women entitled "Treasure in Earthen Vessels: A Women’s Celebration of Body, Mind, and Spirit" will be held May 1-3 at Leaven Retreat Center in Lyons, Mich. The weekend is sponsored by the Church of the Brethren’s Wellness Ministry, designed for women who seek to develop balance, a sense of wellbeing, and fullness of spirit. This small-group experience will be led by Deanna Brown and Anita Smith Buckwalter. The registration deadline is March 30. For a brochure, more information, or to register, contact Mary Lou Garrison, director of the Wellness Ministry, at email@example.com or 800-323-8039.
- A workshop and worship event, "Reach Out and Welcome In," is sponsored by the Church of the Brethren’s Congregational Life Ministry on April 25 from 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at Olympia, Lacey (Wash.) Community Church of the Brethren. Cost is $25 per person or $100 for church groups. Leaders are Rose Madrid-Swetman, church planter and district superintendent in a Seattle-area Vineyard Fellowship; Howard Ullery, pastor at Olympia Lacey, who will lead a workshop on visual arts in worship; Steven Gregory, executive minister for Oregon-Washington District and Congregational Life Team staff member, who will share about effective evangelism "Brethren style"; and Jeff Glass and Carol Mason, also from the Congregational Life Team staff. For more information contact Jeff Glass at 888-826-4951 or Betty Radke at 509-662-3681.
- Bethany Theological Seminary is setting March 6 as a Campus Visit Day. Prospective students are invited to tour the campus in Richmond, Ind., meet Bethany president Ruthann Knechel Johansen, chat and dine with faculty and students, and attend a class. Go to www.bethanyseminary.edu/visit to register.
- Registration for National Junior High Conference began Jan. 15 and already 466 people are registered. The conference is at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., on June 19-21. Registration is limited to 1,300 people. Early registrants will receive air-conditioned housing. Go to www.brethren.org/jrhiconf to register. Request brochures from Rebekah Houff in the Youth and Young Adult Ministry Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-323-8039 ext. 281.
- National Youth Sunday is scheduled for May 3. Congregations are encouraged to celebrate youth by inviting high schoolers to participate in leading worship on that Sunday. The theme is "Standing on Holy Ground" (Exodus 3:5). Go to http://www.brethren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=grow_youth_ministry_resources for worship resources including a challenge letter, Bible studies, a prayer calendar, children’s stories, scripture jams, a bulletin insert, and a skit.
- The Annual Forum of the Fellowship of Brethren Homes takes place Feb. 26-27 at the Church of the Brethren General Offices in Elgin, Ill. The forum gathers leaders from the Brethren retirement communities along with staff of Caring Ministries and Brethren Benefit Trust. The event includes a tour of Pinecrest Community in Mount Morris, Ill. For more information contact Kathy Reid at email@example.com or 800-323-8039.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Other upcoming events.
at 7:54 PM