The NCC has gone through sweeping changes over the last two years. After a time of reflection and reorganization, the NCC is poised to convene people of faith in exploring the widening revelation of God's love and challenge to deepen Christian commitment to work with people who are marginalized and disenfranchised from opportunities God desires everyone to enjoy.
The first major event of this new era in the NCC is an inaugural Christian Unity Gathering. At this gathering the primary focus will be on the scourge of mass incarceration and what the ecumenical community is already doing and can do together to combat a justice system that warehouses and disposes disproportionate numbers of people of color.
A roster of presenters and resource people will lead the conversations and time together. In addition, new NCC general secretary/president Jim Winkler will offer his vision for NCC during a service of celebration.
Presenters and resource people include
- Iva Carruthers, general secretary of the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference
- Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children’s Defense Fund
- A. Roy Medley, general secretary of the American Baptist Churches-USA and chair of the NCC Governing Board
- Harold Dean Trulear, national director of Healing Communities and associate professor at Howard University School of Divinity
- Jim Wallis, president and editor in chief of Sojourners
(This article is from a National Council of Churches release.)
Source: 2/25/2014 Newsline