“Please help spread the word that in-kind donations are not needed in Oklahoma for the tornadoes!” said an e-mail from the Brethren Disaster Ministries office. “If you hear of local drives for food, clothing, or other donated goods, please advise the organizers NOT to send additional donated goods into Oklahoma.”
Instead of sending goods, several more helpful options are suggested:
- Sell collected items and donate the cash to the Emergency Disaster Fund to aid Brethren Disaster Ministries work. Donated online at www.brethren.org/edf or send checks by mail to the Emergency Disaster Fund, Church of the Brethren, 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120.
- There is a general appeal for Church World Service (CWS) relief kits, which are collected and warehoused at the Brethren Service Center in New Windsor, Md. Right now, supplies of Emergency Clean-Up Buckets and Baby Care Kits are low and need to be replenished. For instructions on kit assembly, see www.cwsglobal.org/kits .
- Donate non-food items to local thrift stores or other nonprofits.
- Donate food to local food banks, which might ultimately benefit Oklahoma via the Feeding America network, if food is needed.
- Donate blood yourself or organize a blood drive at your church or workplace.
Source: 6/28/2013 Newsline