Brethren Disaster Ministries staff have suggested the following ways church members and congregations can help in the response to the recent hurricanes and other disasters:
- Support families who have had to flee their homes with prayer, and pray also for volunteers and staff of Children’s Disaster Services. Pray for those who are living in shelters in the Houston and Galveston areas of Texas, and for the volunteers who are caring for children there.
- Contribute to the cost of placing volunteers in the Hurricane Ike shelters, through donations to the Emergency Disaster Fund. The fund is a ministry of the Church of the Brethren. Send donations to Emergency Disaster Fund, Church of the Brethren, 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120.
- Contribute to the Church of the Brethren support for Church World Service disaster relief efforts, which takes place through grants from the denomination’s Emergency Disaster Fund. Send donations to the Emergency Disaster Fund, Church of the Brethren, 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120.
- Donate Emergency Clean-Up Bucket Kits, which are warehoused at the Brethren Service Center on behalf of Church World Service. Go to www.churchworldservice.org/kits/cleanup-kits.html for a contents list and shipping address.
- Attend a training workshop to become a Children’s Disaster Services volunteer. This fall, Level I Training Workshops are offered on Oct. 3-4 at the American Red Cross in Everett, Wash., and in Tacoma, Wash.; and on Oct. 10-11 at the Holiday Inn in Evansville, Ind. Go to www.childrendisasterservices.org for more information.