Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Citronelle pilgrimage.

By Susan Mull

Citronelle, Ala., does not sound like the destination of one embarking on a spiritual journey. What would Citronelle have in common with Jerusalem, the holiest city in the world to millions of people?

To show people compassion and to accept the challenges of disaster response was the reason we were heading to Citronelle. Would I need more than my new tool belt and the right work clothes? What about my "Gospel armor"? Would people see Jesus in me? How would I "wear" my Christianity? Would the compassion I could feel inside be acted out? Would I even make a difference?

While rereading "Meeting God In The Ruins," I realized God would let me know what I needed to do in Citronelle. There is a prayer in that booklet that reads, "You have come to me, O God. You are sending me to meet you in a new place. May my words, actions, and thoughts honor you as I approach the Holy Ground. Amen."

There was so much about humanitarianism and justice to ponder as my husband and I prepared for the trip. Rosa Parks had just died in October and we wanted to stop in Montgomery, Ala., because there is a museum and library there honoring her work, as well as the Southern Poverty Law Center and a huge Civil Rights Memorial. We read these words of Martin Luther King Jr. etched in stone on the outside of the Law Center building: "...Until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream...." We were on our way to do justice work.

Each day at the Brethren Disaster Response site in Citronelle, it was more and more clear that God was working in each of the people who formed our volunteer team. I began to think back to my earlier question, "Would I make a difference?" By acting out my faith, my experience in Citronelle made me different. There is in me a new heart, a renewed spirit, and a renewed zeal for justice work.

What did Citronelle have in common with Jerusalem? Because I said yes to God's call, God was there to meet me and guide me, and there I was on holy ground.

--Susan Mull and her husband, Earl, travel and do disaster response work together. They served as volunteers with Brethren Disaster Response in Citronelle in early November doing clean up and rebuilding following Hurricane Katrina.

Source: 12/14/2005 Newsline
top

No comments: